Monday, July 16, 2007

Let There Be Light

So, I got the key to my new apartment this weekend! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Unfortunately, I also started paying rent this weekend... even though I'm not moving in till the 28th AND my landlord is STILL working on getting her crap out of *MY* new place. Mrrrrrr.

But whatever. I officially have my very own home sweet home in the city! I'm a happy girl and life is good.

Except...

Well... see... there's this wall. A wall that I really hate. A wall that I am (sort of) considering tearing (partially) down. Just a little bit of demo work. Nothing to fancy. It's not even structural. Bear with me.

See, the kitchen has two big awesome windows that get tons of natural light! And the living room has two small windows that are blocked by the neighbor's tree. Get the neighbor to cut the tree back, you say? HA! This is San Francisco, people. The neighbor's tree is totally on his own property... it just so happens that my house is like 2 feet from his property line. We're a bit cramped here in the city. Follow? So anyway, the tree stays.

Dark Living Room

If only there was a way to bring light from the kitchen into the Living Room...

Enter "Operation Hole in Wall".

See, if we were to cut away JUST A LITTLE BIT of the wall that separates the kitchen from the living room, the living room would be SO MUCH BRIGHTER/BETTER!

Operation - Hole in Wall

So I'm gonna get an estimate to see (just hypothetically speaking) how much a job like this would cost.

I haven't quite figured out HOW I'm gonna phrase the "Can I cut a hole in your house?" question to my landlord, but that's a minor detail, right?

Labels: ,