Friday, December 22, 2006

Re-Org

I’ve been at my current job for four years. I’ve have sat in the same cubicle and worked on the same project the entire time. *I* have been very constant. My company? Not so much. In the last four years we have had three different names. (We were Big Evil – Garbage and Crap… and then Big Evil – Crap and Strategic Garbage… and now Big Evil – Crap Systems Company.) I’ve had four different directors, six different team-leads, and three different ID-badges. It’s enough to make your head spin. In my next life I’m going to invest in an org-chart printing company…

We had another re-org yesterday… and this time they really shook things up in my world. They re-orged my boss. The boss I’ve had for the last four years. The man who hired me into the group. A person that I truly respect. Someone who’s opinion I value. Someone I look to for technical guidance and for help in making tough decisions. I’ll admit the guy is a slave driver and he’s not especially good at showing his appreciation for hard work (hello, no decent raise in four years!), but he’s also the kind of boss who you *know* will have your back when and if things get ugly. He believes in his people and will go to bat for them no questions asked. He steps up to plate and never ever feeds his employees to the sharks in the
adminisphere. He’s speaks with authority, not just because he’s the boss but because he’s brilliant. He’s been with our company for 23 years and he really knows his stuff. He asks the tough questions and pushes people to perform to their highest capability. He’s the kind of boss that, at the end of the day, you are glad is on your team. And now he’s gone. Name tag down. Office cleaned out. Gone. And I’m sad.

And the worst part? He got a demotion. :( Seems my project isn’t the only one in a catastrophic downward spiral… and he’s in charge so he’s taking the rap. Not that it’s really his fault – due to circumstances beyond his control we’re understaffed and crippled by big company bureaucracy and red tape. He just does the best he can with what he has.

Ugh.

Labels: ,