Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Well That Was A Bad Idea

I normally have yogurt for breakfast. Sometimes I'll eat a piece of toast with peanut butter or butter and honey, and occasionally I'll grab some sort of granola bar, but usually it's yogurt. Yummy, satisfying, and portable, with just enough protein to get me through to lunch. Hooray yogurt. But we were out of yogurt this morning. And I didn't feel like toast or a granola bar (not that we had either, we SOOO have to go to the grocery store!) and so I settled on a bowl of cereal. Now might be a good time to mention that I also woke up late this morning. (Story of my life!) And when you're commuting in Bay Area traffic, every 1 minute later that you leave you house tacks on like 5 minutes to your commute. It's horrible. So, see, I REALLY didn't have the 6 necessary minutes to sit down and eat a proper bowl of cereal. And here's where the bad idea part comes in. I decided to eat a bowl of cereal while driving to work. For the record, cereal is NOT a portable food item. And I KNOW this. But I always think that maybe, just maybe, I'm special. Maybe physics doesn't apply to me, because I'm oh so much more talented than the rest of the world. I'm silly sometimes.

Anyway, I managed, miraculously, to balance the very full bowl on my lap while I kept one hand on the wheel and the other on my spoon. OH SO CAREFULLY I lifted each bite to my mouth. And I didn't spill a single drop! Hooray me! (See I am special!) And then I did a really stupid thing. I didn't finish the cereal. I got down to about a half cup of milk and all the cereal crumbs from the bottom of the box left in my bowl and decided that I was full. With one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding the bowl of milk and crumbs (which, by the way was still balance precariously on my lap) I continued on my merry way to work. I rode like this for a solid 5 or 6 minutes. And then, as often happens during rush hour traffic, there came a moment when I had to step on the breaks. And I bet you think the bowl of left-over cereal mush went flying, huh? NOPE! The bowl awesomly stayed put. Hooray bowl! But, see, cereal mush is a funny thing. It sort of falls into that whole "liquid" category. And so while the bowl obediantly remained on my lap, the contents of bowl wasn't quite as cooperative. >:\

Cereal.Mush.Everywhere. Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. On my pants, on my seat, on the floor of my car. You would be surprised how far half a cup of milk can go! And the worst part? No napkins or towels or ANYTHING in my car that could be used to clean it up. And the WORSTER part? I still had 40 minutes left in my commute. Kill me. So I had to just sit, marinating my cereal mush for almost the ENTIRE drive to work. It was awful. And, even I tried my best to clean up once I finally did get to work, I've smelled like stale milk ALL DAY. I don't even want to think about how bad my car is going to be. :(

Such a bad idea.

Labels: , ,