Saturday, July 29, 2006

Yes, I Was At A Blog Conference. Don't Mock

I'm home! With a reliable internet connection and mineral free bottled water and not a single person trying to get me to test drive a Saturn. Woo-hoo! (Sorry, you had to be there to get that.)

I survived BlogHer 2006.

And what a survival it was.

1. I had NO IDEA that blogging was such a big deal. Seriously. I feel like I have been living under a rock for last decade and the rest of the world has been blogging up a storm and no one bothered to send me so much as a postcard saying "Wish you were here." There are bloggers who get THOUSANDS of hits per day. People make their WHOLE LIVING by blogging. BLOGGING!!! Blogging about random crap! *I* blog about random crap... where are *my* thousand readers?? (Actually, scratch that... I'm no good under pressure). But really... blogging is huge! Who knew?

2. Speaking of huge... the Hyatt in San Jose was SOOOO unprepared for just how huge they (we?) are. 700+ women (and like 9 men) alllllll trying to log onto their blogs and get into their flickr pages and set up / listen to their pod casts AT THE SAME TIME was not a pretty site. I'm pretty sure we actually blew up their server... I definitely smelled something burning.

3. And then there were the mommy bloggers... don't me wrong I LOOOOOOOOVE mommy blogs. Seriously. I'm currently addicted to no less than 5. But the mommy bloggers... all together in one big group... let me tell you... they are a force to reckon with. I'm quite sure that if they wanted to take over the world... say tomorrow... they could.

4. Apparently I need blog business cards. Stop laughing. I kid you not. EVERYONE has blog business cards. People were like "Oh my gosh! What's your site? Do you have a card?" And all I could think was "Crap! I'm in WAY over my head."

5. There are famous bloggers. FAMOUS. And everyone at the conference knew exactly who they were and were like paparazzi all weekend. It was nuts! I, the rock dweller, of course had no clue that these women even existed. I felt like I was at some Hollywood party, and Lindsay Lohan was there, and I was like "Wait, what was your name again" to her. Idiot.

On the upside... I got to meet and hang out with one of my best blog friends, Jes, as well as lots of other amazing women whose blogs I cannot wait to check out!! The web of bloggers is UNREAL - and although I'm a pretty peripheral strand, I'm glad I'm part of it.

Labels: , ,